Tāmaki Innovation Campus


Recreation

Colin Maiden Park


Colin Maiden Park is the home ground of the Auckland University Cricket Club, and the Auckland University Rugby Football Club. The park consists of high-quality playing fields, in an attractive, tree-filled setting.

History

Colin Maiden Park is named after Sir Colin Maiden, who was the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Auckland from 1971 to 1994 and was pivotal in the development of the playing fields. The University purchased the land in 1944, when the future of the University in Princes Street was uncertain. When Sir Colin was appointed Vice-Chancellor, the land was still undeveloped and he saw the opportunity to provide students with better recreational and sporting facilities.

University Park, as it was known then, was opened in 1978 and consisted of 40 acres of rugby fields, soccer fields, cricket pitches, hockey fields, a softball diamond, an athletic track and a clubhouse. At that time, over 10,000 native trees and shrubs were planted, which we are reaping the benefit of today.

Upon Sir Colin’s retirement as Vice-Chancellor in 1994, the University Council renamed the park, Colin Maiden Park.

Auckland Council

The University of Auckland entered into an agreement to transfer Colin Maiden Park and its associated facilities to Auckland Council on 31 January 2014.

Auckland Council is retaining the 20ha park for recreational purposes, and the Auckland University Rugby Football Club and the Auckland University Cricket Club continue to be located on the site.

For more information